The Societies of Photographers - SWPP and BPPA

September 30, 2014, 06:51:30 PM *
Welcome, ---. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Certain Boards and Topics on this forum are only available to view by registered members
Please see Where are all the private posts? for more details

Home   Help Search Calendar Login - Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Convention - what did you think?  (Read 33212 times)
Andy Cubin

« on: January 19, 2008, 10:46:30 AM »

Folks,

I just got back - enjoyed myself a lot but I think there is scope for a critique here, so lets have your views.

From me:

Good points:

Excellent standard of presentation in both Business School and Masterclasses although odd occasion when presenters were distracted off topic by audience questions.

Very good opportunity to chat to those at the very top of the game.

Well laid out generally but until familiarity set in, tricky to find some seminar rooms.

Comfy accom.

Bad points:

Not enough bar staff - not by a mile.  Saw the bar 4 deep at times with 2 bar staff working flat out.  Novotel -shame on you.

Could have done with Trade Show starting a day earlier to enjoy the exhibitors with less of a maddening crowd.

Overall: well done Phil and the team - pretty slick show with only minor grumbles that were generally outside SWPPs control.

AC
warhead
Hotshot Member

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 12:02:05 PM »

Better than last year for me but only because I paid more attention. I watched a lot of print judging which is new to me (being a magazine snapper and that) and I was fascinated by some of the comments. Some speakers were captivating and motivating which is what I want, whilst others were too busy being raconteurs for me to glean any facts - which is what I paid for. Trade shows are always going to be a bunfight be they for cameras, caravans or birdcages. I bought a very nice Helmut Newton book which weighs a ton and will come in handy for propping open my office door come summer.  Got a couple of rosettes too - which is most motivating  Wink Grin Tongue  You can see a lot of behind the scenes work goes into the show so props are due to the SWPP team. BIG UP YOURSELVES PHIL AND CO!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 12:04:50 PM by warhead » Logged

Proper stuff: www.waughphotos.com 
The PixelMer©hant http://waughphotos.blogspot.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheWarhead

Born in Essexshire (but not really bothered)
Celynnen Photography

Flying the Flag, Baby!

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 09:25:15 PM »

I got stuff from all the masterclasses I attended but the delivery was uneven.

One thing I wasn't that impressed with was the trade show.

One of our main supplier's PR man stank of drink, we did find interfit (Saturday), there was no real deal to have on what I was looking for (bodies, lenses, stands, etc..) but hey..still learned loads and generally had a great time!

More to come tomorrow!
Liam

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 10:23:04 AM »

It was my first convention and overall I was delighted with it.  I arrived Friday evening and got back to myhouse at 2.30 last night exhausted........

I found the talks very helpful and very informative.  It was great getting ideas etc from some of the "seasoned pro's".
I had mixed feelings about the trade show.  I spent several hours looking around yesterday.  I found some of the staff helpful but a few were unhelpful.  I thought they could be a little better......

I thought the hotel was nice but very expensive....Maybe that is just London!!  I would agree with the service problems in the bar etc....

Overall, I was delighted I went and I would definitely go   again next year....hopefully I would have more time to fit in the business school this time.

I think Phill and his team deserves special praise......The thing ran like clockwork.
BillyH
Champion Member

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 10:29:25 AM »

I went down Tuesday evening and came back last night(Sunday).

I didn’t stop at the conference hotel - I was worried in case my other half overdosed on photography   Grin talk plus I like the city

I thought the Business School was great and most of the speakers, along with the chairing and organisation, outstanding.  For the trade show I had a list f what I needed to sort and that seemed to work for me – the only thing I didn’t buy on my list was studio management / CRM software but I now have a short list

Thank to all the organisers

Richard P Walton
Supreme Member

Richard P Walton FSWPP

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »

I did Tuesday to Sunday an thought it was real interesting.

Only thing I woulda like is better food sources. there wasn't enough time to Q at that bar in between lectures.

Some of my Favourite lectures were:

Gordon Mcgowen
(what can I say, Brilliant. an if anyone took photos of the model an the volenteer I'd love it if you could email me some Lo res)

Doug Gordon,

Dave Beckstead,

Clay Blackmore,

Antony Cava,

Doug Box

Guy Gowen.

Thanks to all the speakers, I learnt alot...

Christina Lauder
Champion Member

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 06:32:47 PM »

I had a fab time.  Stayed from Friday to Monday.  The awards dinner was so much better this year than last year.  That could be due to the fact that I know more people now.  And probably had something to do with Martin on the piano.  I had such a good time but slightly regretting staying up until 5:30 in the morning.  Still not feeling great. 

The seminars were great as usual.  Learned so much and feel much more inspired and motivated than I did before the convention.  The only negative thing for me is that my list of things to buy has grown substantially. 

It was great to see old faces and to meet so many more new faces.  Very much looking forward to next years already. 

So thanks to everyone involved for making it such a great event. 

Sincerely,
Christina

warhead
Hotshot Member

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 06:56:56 PM »

I did Tuesday to Sunday an thought it was real interesting.

Only thing I woulda like is better food sources. there wasn't enough time to Q at that bar in between lectures.

Some of my Favourite lectures were:

Gordon Mcgowen
(what can I say, Brilliant. an if anyone took photos of the model an the volenteer I'd love it if you could email me some Lo res)

Doug Gordon,

Dave Beckstead,

Clay Blackmore,

Antony Cava,

Doug Box

Guy Gowen.

Thanks to all the speakers, I learnt alot...

Rich,

Give me a shout next time and I'll point you in the right direction for grub!

adamduckworth

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 10:35:47 AM »

Hmmm Warhead... Buying a Helmut Newton book to "prop open your office door in summer".

It's OK mate, we're not your missus. There's no place on forums like these for post-purchase rationalisation of an..erm... cough, cough.. "art" book as a door stop.

Personally, I find tomes containing the work of the late Mr Carlos-Clarke eminently more suitable as door anti-closing devices.

And well done for your two awards. And your brilliant prizes.
Sniff.

warhead
Hotshot Member

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 11:37:42 AM »

Dont be bitter Mr D. The Bike Collective's combined opinions count for so much more than prizes  Wink

Martin Crombie

ASWPP

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 12:15:06 PM »

Folks,
I just got back - enjoyed myself a lot but I think there is scope for a critique here, so lets have your views.
Myself & Gill went down for the sunday trade show and the awards night, unfortunately Gill couldnt get saturday off from her bridal business so we ended up going down by train sunday which took 4 hours so by the time we got to the hotel at 3.30pm the trade show was closing down. Can we have this time extended next time to 5pm on a sunday?
The awards night, well firstly the food for £50 a head could have been better!
I was nominated in 3 categories, wedding contemporary, architecture and b&w and my name wasnt mentioned once during the shortlisted slides being projected It would have been nice for the SWPP to show some courtesy to those making the effort to attend (at some considerable cost) unlike so many people that did win awards on the night and didnt bother turning up!! This, in my opinion reflected very badly on them and clearly was embrassing not only for the people having to go up and collect their awards but for us to watch!
Perhaps a programme with all the names of the shortlisted candidates would help in future so that those attending can monitor the progress of eventual winners!
Anyway well done to those who won an award - I agreed with most of them!

Terrie Jones
Company P.A / Competitions Manager / Convention Co-Organiser
Administrator
Champion Member

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 12:44:49 PM »

Hi Andy,

Unfortunetly we are unable to extend the Sunday tradeshow times as the hotel staff need to set up for the awards dinner which is held in the same room.

And in reply to people not showing up for their awards, we did contact everybody to encourage them to book for the dinner, unfortunetly some couldnt make it.

Terrie
Martin Crombie

ASWPP

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 01:06:28 PM »

Hi Terri
Thanks for your prompt reply - I appreciate you have some contraints to work within but what did you think to my suggestion re. a programme? I understand you cannot read everybodies name out (a nightmare) but if nominated for an award it would be nice to a least be listed?
I would appreciate your comments.
regards Martin

Angela Gibson

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 01:54:41 PM »

Hi Terri
Thanks for your prompt reply - I appreciate you have some contraints to work within but what did you think to my suggestion re. a programme? I understand you cannot read everybodies name out (a nightmare) but if nominated for an award it would be nice to a least be listed?
I would appreciate your comments.
regards Martin

Angela Gibson

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 01:56:57 PM »

I am assuming it would be very difficult to do list all the nominees as the judging is only done at the actual event.  I did see Tom Lee late on Friday night and he was still working on trying to get everything together for the slideshow for Sunday.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

BPPA Forum - SWPP Main Site - SWPP Shop

The Societies Forum
6 Bath Street. Rhyl LL18 3EB
Tel 00 44 0 1745 356935

Corporate Partners

Aaduki Photographic Insurance The Click Group Photovalue GFSmith print presentation have been supplying high quality products to the professional photographer for over 25 years theimagefile - Online photographic sales solutions.

Lastolite - lighting equipment Albums Epoca Professional photographic laboratory Professional photo and video hosting for photographers and enthusiasts. Developers of award-winning business management software for photographers.

RSS Feed